Sunday, April 5, 2009

the Hotel Cafe - Day 5

Another day of putting off my ambitions to become a movie extra, and instead spending my time checking out the local (and musical) sights. We had three musical experiences in one night, all of varying talent and enjoyment.

FREE SHOW ONE
First we went down to the "promenade" in Santa Monica with a friend. We found some pizza and walked along the streets, stopping by the occasional street urchin or musician. Most of whom used backing tracks while playing basic melodies on their guitar or singing slightly off key. I hate backing tracks. Anyone who uses backing tracks while performing on the street should be punished. One band I thoroughly enjoyed is called "the Ken Oak Band." Sometimes (or perhaps always) called "Oak and Gorski," this band is comprised of a cellist, Oak, and a guitarist, Gorski... hence, Oak and Gorski. They both sing, and they sing well, and I enjoy any band that utilizes the cello. I was sad to see only a small crowd of passersby watching them play.

FREE SHOW TWO
Second, we stopped into the Mac Store on 3rd street Promenade, Santa Monica. Our friend who knows a guy who knows a guy who performs in a band, brought us there to watch a live show by the band called Suicide Cowboy. This six member country music group rocked the Mac Store. I was pleased by their rhythmic melodies, violin solos, and silly lyrics depicting narratives of a crazy world and estranged relationships.



10 DOLLAR SHOW
The Hotel Cafe was our last stop of the night. We went in support of a friend of a friend (of a friend) who was singing at this small bar near downtown. Hotel Cafe is supposed to be the type of bar where you are expected to stay quiet while the musician performs. I like to call this the "sit down and shut up" type of bar, and these are my favorite locations. However, the drink prices were the usual outrage to a stingy person like myself, and the cover charge of 10 dollars seems a bit excessive in this economy.


The female singer whom we came to support is named Ashley Haney. She was alright, decent voice and moderate stage presence, but not the highlight of the night. Most of the lyrics fell flat in terms of originality. Among the performers who backed her up on stage, a smiling drummer, a chill bassist (who chewed gum the whole time), an energetic guitarist, and jazzy keyboardist, she was the least talented. I found myself ignoring the singer, and focusing my attention on the instrumentation instead.

At least the water was free at the Hotel Cafe.

...