Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Crash - Day 6

I thought, as a nice present to my home-town friend who came up to visit me for a few days, we'd take him to see some of the finest places in LA. We began with a real life car crash.




Luckily we weren't in either of the cars that ended up in pieces, scattered along the road. We were simply exiting from a late night at a Karaoke bar, and as I swooped in for a quick hug with one of my karaoke friends, we heard a screech, and a crash, and then a scrape, and a bang. We all quickly ran (well, some of us more than others) to suss out the situation.

After running to the end of the block, the group of us (6) stood there on the sidewalk, still a little shocked, and realizing that perhaps none of the other Angelian onlookers had not yet called 911, we quickly did so. The large SUVs involved remained in the middle of the street, quite far apart from one another. We discussed and eventually deduced that when the light had turned green, one car began to drive across the intersection, while another car, coming up the rear, and driven by a drunk lunatic, tried to swerve around the first car... and plowed right into it instead.

As I told the operator the details of the scene and that the woman in car # 1 looked like she had a concussion and perhaps needed medical attention, their car began to roll slowly backwards. We asked them to put on the parking break, if it was still functional.

Luckily it seemed that no one was severely injured, and as we stood there making sure the "victim" car's occupants were safe, it appeared that the drunk lunatic, had bolted. Yes, a model citizen indeed, a man who not only decided to drive drunk, but felt that, if it so happened that his drunkenness would destroy property, or injure innocent people, he would not want to take any responsibility, whatsoever. Our suspicions were further fueled when the police began questioning us about the drunk driver's appearance.

Less than a week in LA and I already get the opportunity to be involved, one way or another, in a crime. Huzzah!

Then I realized my friend who was staying with me had only been in the city for 4 hours. He seemed anxious to leave the city from that moment on.

--

Karaoke was a blast though. We only went for an hour (I know, it's short, but I'm trying not to go broke, and I still have 3 weeks of things to do and see.) But it was great to compare this experience of Korean Karaoke to my years of Karaoke in Japan. Extremely similar. Even the tacky videos that play behind the lyrics (which would sometimes not match up to the music so well... ie: "Que Sera" and a video featuring Asian mobsters shooting up buildings and breaking down doors.) It was... odd, but hilarious.



And I lost my voice trying to belt out Muse songs.

--



And before I forget... we also went to Little Tokyo (where we ate boba), Olvera Street, and China Town earlier that day. It was enjoyable, other than having poor service in a Chinese restaurant... but incomparable to the excitement of a car crash.